Visit me at: kellyapplegatephotograpy.com

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Observations of a 2-year old being potty trained: A bunny's perspective

You probably know me by now from my earlier posts. I am bunny, Kennedy's best friend (also pictured below). These past two days, I have watched Kennedy's daddy try to teach her how to use the potty. The following commentary is an abbreviated time log from Day 1 of potty training; this will hopefully be a unique perspective.

6/16/08
7:15 - On dad's first day home with the kids, he makes a split decision that today will be the day for Kennedy to learn to use the potty (I was a little worried at this point).
7:28 - Dad and Kennedy start to create her sticker chart (see below).
7:33 - Kennedy throws mini-tantrum that she can't hold 5 markers at one time with the caps off.
7:36 - Kennedy throws mini-tantrum when dad shows her the stickers for the potty chart but does not give them to her.
7:39 - Kennedy throws mini-tantrum when dad explains that she will get 1 M&M for every time she successfully goes potty and multiple M&M's for each time she does the other thing.
7:42 - Dad reconsiders his decision but presses on.
8:00 - After dad puts the big girl panties on Kennedy, he sits down to feed Ansley her bottle. His mistake was letting Kennedy leave the room for a few minutes.
8:15 - Dad keeps calling to Kennedy: "Do you have to go the bathroom yet?" which Kennedy keeps responding to with a resounding "no."
8:23 - Dad goes to play room to find Kennedy with a wet diaper. As dad takes her upstairs and is taking her panties off, he doesn't notice the big glob of poo that plops onto the carpet. Dad doesn't seem very happy at this point.
8:26 - Dad seems more upset when the Green Machine is broken, Ansley is crying, and Kennedy is upset also. This day doesn't seem to be getting better.

After this point, Kennedy rebounds and goes 4 for 5 for the day. Although Day 1 finished on a positive note, Day 2 ended up going 2 for 6; I won't give you the messy details (literally, messy).

I'm a little sad that Kennedy will be a big girl soon. I hope she doesn't get too "cool" and grown up for me. However, I'm proud of her and I know she will do great. I think she'll be fine as long as her dad doesn't have a meltdown. This has been a long post so I won't ramble on anymore. If you read this far, you are probably wondering how a bunny can write this many words... I dictated this post to Kennedy's dad (he's a bit of a sucker...). Goodbye!




















Excitement.




















Focus.




















Kennedy shows off her potty chart.














Dad pauses to take a self portrait at 7:43 (see time log to fit this into the context of the morning).
Posted by Picasa

Fun times.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Keep at it Kelly, Kennedy will catch on. I mean, the M&M's are worth it!

-Deb