Visit me at: kellyapplegatephotograpy.com

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Goodbye dance class

Maybe this sounds bad to admit, but I'm happy that our 6-week dance class experience is over. Through this experience, I got a small taste of the busyness for parents of teenagers, who spend each night carting their kids to and from sporting events, dance classes, gymnastics, youth group, or whatever else their kids are involved with.

Time to get on my soap box for a minute... we are so busy and rushed as a society. In our effort to overplan our lives and keep up with the pace of our society, we don't always stop to "smell the roses" (sorry, that was VERY clique). As a high school counselor, I see this busyness unfold on a daily basis with high school students. In addition to being constantly "wired" by their cell phones, text messaging, the internet, facebook, I-pod, etc... kids are very busy with jobs, hours of homework, and intensive involvement with sports and extracurricular activities. Gone are the days when most kids could play a variety of sports throughout the year. Unless you are a stud athlete, most kids have to pick one sport and dedicate their entire year to improving in this one area. Many kids have personal trainers, club teams, year-long workout regimen's and so on...

Before I got too off topic, I admit that life will be busy no matter how much I resist. However, I try (and mostly fail) to live in the moment and day to be at peace with all of the good and bad that happens. Over time, even the things that seem bad can have a silver lining. We learn from our mistakes, learn humility, and we build character. It's my goal to emphasize God, family, and friends in all that we do. How does that look? I'm not sure. If you have read this entire blog, congratulations getting through my ramblings. I know that God is in control and that he will give us peace if we put our trust in Him. This is important in this crazy world we live in.

Enjoy the pictures below. We took them on the last night of Kennedy's dance class. The bad news is that I need some new blog material in the near future. Any ideas?








Posted by Picasa

No comments: