Visit me at: kellyapplegatephotograpy.com

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Furnace Issues

After considering a variety of topics to be the focus of tonight's blog, I have decided to write about our furnace issues. Exciting eh? For the last year-and-a-half or so, our furnace has made loud and painful grinding sounds throughout the day and night. At times, the furnace has decided to randomly shut off in the middle of the night, waking me up at 2 am in the morning with Molly asking me if she thinks the house is cold. As much as I love waking up in the middle of the night to my own self-imposed night terrors (I have severe sleep walking issues), Kennedy jumping in our bed, or my increasing number of bathroom breaks (yeah, I'm old), I have not enjoyed waking up to a freezing house.

As the husband of a lovely wife and father of 2 lovely daughters, I probably should have just paid the overpriced charge to have my furnace fixed by a reputable Heating and Air service. I even had the furnace checked out when the furnace was under warranty... but they said that "nothing was wrong." Okay, not true.

So, in fastforwarding to last week, my dad happened to be at our house and had the opportunity to hear the horrible sound that comes out of our furnace room. He said: "You really need to get that fixed." And for once, he was right (j-k dad). Over the next couple of days our furnace shut off about 2 times per day and I would fix it by repeatedly hitting the on/off switch until the furnace magically stayed on. Luckily, my new best friend Joe (see previous post about my car), who has helped fix many car issues, told me he could fix the furnace by ordering a new part. After finding this part for $225 at a local store, he found it on E-bay for $115 and gave me the following choice: 1) Pay more for the part and ensure that your family won't freeze if the furnace breaks down; or 2) Save $100, order the part off of Ebay, and roll the dice about my furnace not dying while we waited for the part to arrive.

So of course I told him to order the part off of Ebay. For the past two days, God has kept our furnace running as noisily as ever, even though the temperature is below 17 degrees.

For fun, I took some video of our furnace today so you could get the "experience." Also, pray that our furnace lives another couple of days.

No comments: